Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Runner's Club: What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas

I am in Las Vegas, NV, for a work-related conference. I was so impressed to see on the itinerary the option to join a runner's club or yoga class each morning at 6:15 a.m. Now, I am not one to enjoy running in a group, at all. However, the idea of being able to follow someone else and not get lost was more appealing to me than the idea of running with a pack. 

Of the 1,600 attendees here, about 50 people showed up for the run. We then further separated into two groups; the majority (35-ish) going for the three-mile run. The rest set out for a five-mile run; only one other guy had earphones and an iPhone. Ugh. And even he ran with another guy and chatted (while keeping the earphones in). Whatever. I stayed at the front, listened to my podcast, and tried not to dwell on the awkwardness. And as for the ease of just following someone...well the leaders were not local and had planned on an out-and-back run. This is trickier on the strip than you think, with construction and walkways; we had to go through two hotels and over a bridge. 

Tomorrow, I will venture on my own--out-and-back. I don't have to run the same route and the Cosmopolitan is hard to miss. The weather is gorgeous here, sunny and low 80s.


Normal running attire for Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment