Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Finally finished Madame Bovary

I thoroughly enjoyed, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot). I read the majority of it while in Corolla, NC. It was fascinating and I enjoyed discussing it with Jules--it was part of her summer reading requirement.

Then I was inspired--thanks to Audible's buy one classic, get one classic free--to listen to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) and Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert). Smith's coming of age story was interesting and I would recommend it. Madame Bovary, on the other hand, dragged on and on. I did not like the main character, Emma, at all. Not to spoil it for anyone who may run out and read it, but the book ends with suicide (Emma), heartbreak and death (Charles), and abandonment (child). Anyway, I finally finished it on my run home today. 

I am sure this is why the half marathon felt like it was taking forever, because I was not entertained by the book at all.  

Next up.... Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn.   

No comments:

Post a Comment